Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's new song, Harajuku Iyahoi




On New Year's day, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu released her new song, 原宿いやほい (Harajuku Iyahoi). The song was composed by Yasutaka Nakata. On YouTube you can find a video of the two of them performing the song together. Kyary has also been filming a music video for the song, which will probably be released soon!

Kyary's new song is extremely cute and upbeat, but enchanting at the same time. I think the choreography is also very fun and energetic.

I can't yet understand Japanese very well, but I think the lyrics are about how much Kyary loves Harajuku. That's another reason why this song makes me so happy: it reminds me of my dream to go to Harajuku, a district of Tokyo that's known for its unique and creative fashion styles.

Maybe you think that's a strange dream to have, and I agree with you! It is a little strange. But I think most people have a place they really want to visit one day. I've wanted to go to Harajuku since I was about 10 years old, when I read about it in a fashion magazine.

One of my friends went to Japan last summer and he visited Harajuku. He said: "it's not very special... the food was expensive!" I completely understand his point. I can imagine that it's a very touristic place, probably busy and chaotic too.


A photo of a Harajuku Fashion Walk from TokyoFashion.com


But my dream is not necessarily about the place itself. Rather, it's about the amazing creativity and mindset of the people it represents, the "Harajuku girls" (and boys!) who always inspire me so much. They created so many beautiful fashion styles that make the world a little bit more colorful every day.

Their motto, that everyone should just wear whatever makes them happy, is a very positive one. I noticed that some groups of people pressure each other to wear what everyone else is wearing, but that discourages self-expression.

It's important that we start allowing each other to be who we really are. Or else, how will we finally learn to accept our differences? Plus, like Kyary said: "If you are wearing clothes that you enjoy wearing, everything you do in life becomes fun."

So while I'm completely aware that my image of Harajuku might be a little too rosy, I'll still hold on to it. Because this dream makes me happy and inspires me! I'm very thankful to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and Yasutaka Nakata for making such a beautiful song.

Kyary is also going to make a collaboration with Charlie XCX called Crazy Crazy. I don't listen to Charlie XCX's songs very often, but my brother showed me one of her videos and I really liked it. The song preview of Crazy Crazy sounds super fun in my opinion!

So I think it's pretty exciting that Kyary's making a song with her. "Kawaii culture" and Harajuku fashion have already gained some popularity outside of Japan. Do you think this collaboration will attract more attention to these subcultures?


Thank you so much for reading my post! What do you think of Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's new song?


No comments:

Post a Comment